Friday, August 27, 2010

Blitz The Night Winners Announced...


As the Creative Director of Perth Street Fashion, it has been a pleasure working along side so many talented and inspiring fashion designers and entrepreneurs over the last couple of months; in the execution of Perth Street Fashion and Colosoul Inc's Blitz the Streets competition and Blitz the Night fashion parade.
Our competition Blitz the Streets was a huge success, which saw 10 emerging fashion designers, and 6 stylist/boutique collaborations enter.



The results of the competition were announced at Blitz the Night, which saw a turn out of Perth's most stylish and fashionable socialites attend, to watch the Blitz the Streets entrant's 3 piece submission showcased on the catwalk by models from Catherine Ruze's modelling agency.


I will be the first to admit that there were several minor hiccups throughout the night, though that was to be expected; it was the first time that any of us had organised an event of this size.

Whilst most were pleased with the night, there were a few complaints; I say to those that were not 100% happy: all involved in executing Blitz The Night, did it for the love of local fashion, to help support and promote local designers and businesses, the only one's to profit from the event were the designers themselves through exposure of their label, which was the whole concept of the night.



So really I could not have wished for more, thank you to all the volunteers who dedicated, hours, months, weeks and months of their time to make the night what it was, a success.

A special thank you to Stylist Emily Bathgate who poured her heart and love into making the night a success, your dedication did not go un-noticed by us at P.S.F or Colosoul, so thank you.


 
Below is a sneak peek of threads that hit the runway on the night, all photographs courtesy of Photographer Ben Riches.


Pardon My French

 



Ellie Marie

 




Ginger Fox Vintage



Natasha Mapleson

 




Rock A Frock


 

The competition was extremely close, though in the end there could only be 2 winners.
The winner for the Fashion Designer category was won by talented swimwear Designer Terryn Hall with her label: 7 Sins Swimwear.

Below is the photographic submission from Terryn that put 7 Sins Swimwear into first place.













The winner for the Boutique/ Stylist collaboration was awarded to Sisters Kelly and Samantha Flemming for their entry from their e-boutique NinetySeven Clothing. Below is NinetySeven Clothing's winning submission:















Both winners were awarded a voucher to the value of $1000+ to be used on a Campaign or Look book shoot with renowned Fashion Photographer Ben Riches with professional hair and make-up services provided by Andrea Green and fashion styling provided by DeA Style.

The photographs from the shoot will then feature in an Advertorial in Perth's newest independent publication Colosoul Magazine.

To wrap up the competition I will be interviewing both winners of Blitz the Streets, to give readers an insight into these talented designer/ entrepreneurs lives.

Today I (K) had a chance to catch up with the Fashion Designer winner of Blitz the Streets: Terryn Lee Hall (T) and got to find out a little bit more about this emerging designer and her label;

(K) Tell me about your label 7 Sins Swimwear?

(T) With a passion for the ocean, marine life and a flair for creativity, 7 Sins Swimwear was born. With designs for girls and women who love a cutting edge swimsuit or design pieces, either for the water, to enjoy the surroundings of our gorgeous beaches or even take into evening wear, 7 Sins hopes to make all women feel comfortable in their own skin and build a quiet confidence knowing that what they're wearing suits their personal style and body type.

The designs try to show individuality through embellishment and design, and aim to make all pieces in the collection scream a sinful delight.

(K) How do you feel being crowned The Fashion Designer winner Blitz the Streets, knowing that you were up against tough competition?

(T) I still can't believe I actually won, and being one of two students in the competition was a great honour! The competition was amazing and everyone deserves recognition for their hard work.

(K) How and why you entered fashion Industry?

 (T) I am currently a third year TAFE student at the Central Institute of Technology, and to be honest fashion was the only thing that really excited me. Being able to create something from your own imagination and see people appreciate it and want to wear it is the best feeling in the world.

(K) What are the perks of being a part of the Fashion Industry?

 
(T) The fashion industry is all about networking, and for me the best perk is meeting such talented and amazingly influential people. People that have different views and are from different walks of life, that share the same passion and make something beautiful through what they believe in.

(K) Who has been the most influential person in your life?
(T) This one's easy, that has to go to my mum. She is everything to me and my only goal in life is to make her proud, she does nothing but support and help me through every aspect of life. I have the most amazing sisters and best friends and feel very lucky to have them in my life.

(K) Where do you draw your inspirations from?
(T) I decided to focus on swimwear about half way through my first year of studying fashion and textile design. I grew up with a very outdoor orientated family; every big occasion was spent camping, fishing, at the beach or doing water sports. The ocean to this day is still the only place I am completely at peace, so if I have to work for the majority of my life I just hope it can be around one of the things I love the most.

(K) What has been your greatest challenge thus far and how did you overcome it?

(T) My greatest challenge has to be sewing! I am still learning so much and have much more to learn but I have amazing lecturers and everyday is about learning something new. Drawing something from an idea is difficult, but to then construct it is definitely a journey in itself.

(K) Whose style do you most admire?

(T) I love edgy looks, and pieces where you see them and feel like you need to touch it. I don't really follow fashion trends and labels as much as I find it influences designs.

(K) What is the one fashion piece that you couldn't live without?

(T) Has to be a staple swimwear piece, I live in swimwear throughout Summer so to have one that you love to wear, feel comfortable in and looks good is amazing.

(K) Describe your worst fashion faux pas?

(T) The worst fashion faux pas for me is real fur. I'm a massive animal and environment lover and don't see the need, with textile technology to use real animal fur in the industry.

(K) What advice can you offer to emerging fashion designers?

(T) Considering I'm still a student and are around emerging designers everyday all I can say is don't give up, if it's something that you really want and are willing to work hard for, you will get it eventually. Don't take criticism personally, you will never please everyone and stay positive that what your doing is right for you.

(K) Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?

(T) In 5 years I would love to see my label in production, or working as a swimwear designer. If I get to do what I love, be it for myself or another company I will be happy.

(K) Anything you would like to add?

(T) A massive thank you to everyone involved in Blitz the Night, all the talented designers and stores, especially Karamea Lee Ngatai- Stokes, Emily Bathgate, Ben Riches, Colosoul Inc and Margaret Welch from Blyss Beauty and Make-up.


In the next couple of days I will be catching up with the entrepreneurial Flemming sisters; who took out the first prize for the Boutique/ Stylist collaboration winner of Blitz the Streets, as well as uploading all of the Official Blitz The Night Pictures. So make sure you watch this space.
xox
Indiegochild.blogspot.com






No comments:

Post a Comment